A technical unit of excellence in Nutrition and HIV programming
To prevent and treat malnutrition for people infected and affected by HIV and STIs by providing strategic information, developing policies and guidelines, coordination of partners and provision of quality Nutrition and HIV services.
The sub unit is supported and works in collaboration with the parent Ministry of Health, Nutrition UNIT, US government through USG- PEPFAR (USAID, CDC, AMPATH PLUS and WRD DOD), Global Fund, UN agencies –WHO, WFP, UNICEF, Universities and other local implementing partners supporting Nutrition and HIV Interventions in this country.
The role of the sub Unit includes:
- Policy and Guidelines formulation and dissemination
- Procurement of Nutritional commodities and Supply Chain Management coordination
- Capacity Building
- Operational Research
- Resource Mobilization
- Monitoring and Evaluation of the nutrition and HIV interventions in Kenya
- Provision of leadership through coordination of nutrition and HIV interventions in a harmonized and equitable way at National level and strong linkages to County governments.
- Provision of crucial coordination mechanism for all stakeholders in the field of Nutrition and HIV.
- Developed and review of policies, standards and guidelines for HIV over the years. Current documents are attached at resource section
- Capacity building of health workers to ensure that all Nutrition service providers are up to date on current guidelines of Nutrition and HIV.
- M&E activities including successful implementation of a strong LMIS system since 2013 now linked to DHIS2
- Research through periodic surveys have been evident and have contributed to monitoring the trends of the nutrition status for PLHIV and also the success of the interventions in place. Most current is (NVPS) 2014.Current research are ongoing
- Networking and collaboration with partners
- Nutrition and HIV annual advocacy activities have been evident. e.t.c